Subject: RE: Graphic border
From: 22-Oct-1995 0546 <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]"@24580.ENET.dec.com
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 95 03:08:27 PDT

>From:	24580::"[email-masked]" "MAIL-11 Daemon" 21-OCT-1995 22:44:14.61
>To:	[email-masked]
>CC:	
>Subj:	Graphic border

>First question:  A logo graphic (a running "m") was converted to a GIF file
>from Adobe Illustrator (Mac), and sent to me on a 720K floppy.  I converted
>the GIF to a 2-color image in Ad Pro, then imported it to Pixel Pro 3D and
>made into an object.  How do you prevent the stairsteps?  Is it possible to
>convert a graphic from a Mac file to a readable Amiga or LW file without
>getting stairsteps and spending HOURS of clean-up time?  
  I don't think so. Pixel Pro is the only utility I know of and as you see
it leaves some to be desired. What version are you running ? As for hours
of cleanup, What is your approach. Pixel Pro will often give you many more
points than you need. If you have any straight runs delete all points 
beween them as opposed to moving them. Imagine has an align feature that
would clean up points really nice.(a great plugin Idea). What I would do
is take your pixel pro object and put in in the background, copy it to
another layer, select polygon mode and do a remove. This leaves you with
just poinnts. now delete what you don't need. Put THIS in a background
and make a disk that conforms to your curve. again remove, delete the 
unneeded points of the disk, and then swap layers and delete all points
covered by your disk points in the background. Then copy the disk section
to your object. Select the points in polygon mode, and do a MAKE. Sounds
awfull but really is easy and quick once you get used to it. OH! Don't
forget to eliminate all points so your working only on one face, you
can extrude it later. (the above may not need as many layers as suggested
but it makes it easier first time around)

>Second question:  There is a yellow border around the red logo.  I used
>AlphaPaint program to eliminate the yellow border so I could work with the
>rest of the logo.  How do you separate the border from the rest of the logo
>to make them separate objects?  When I tried it, I got stairsteps so bad that
>I could not separate the border from the rest of the graphic.      

take your "m" center it, copy to another layer, size it up, center this and
try a boolean remove to leave you with the border. Give it a surface name
and then select both layers and cut and paste. Sizing may require tweaking
of one of the objects to get the correct distance between the objects. 
OR you could play with the bevel command. set the offset, zero the other
and bevel. cut and paste.

-bill
--
--
22-Oct-1995 0546 <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]